We’ve all been there: feeling frustrated when healthy eating and a regular exercise routine just aren’t getting rid of persistent pockets of fat. This is because your body never naturally sheds fat cells—as your weight fluctuates, fat cells either shrink or increase in size, making it difficult to tone certain areas. Men and women commonly experience these stubborn fat deposits on the abdomen, flanks, hips, and thighs. Liposuction is a great way to safely and permanently slim down these areas. Led by board-certified plastic surgeon, Dr. David B. Brothers, Plastic Surgery Centre of Atlanta offers liposuction for men and women in Atlanta, Sandy Springs, and surrounding communities in Georgia.
What is Liposuction?
Lipo is one of the most popular cosmetic procedures, and with the popularity comes new techniques to optimize the results while minimizing tissue trauma. What this means is that you can remove unwanted fat with liposuction while minimizing your downtime. As a board-certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Brothers specializes in lipo techniques that balance fat removal with contour enhancement. The result is a beautifully defined body that has attractive curves that are absent of bulges and pouches of fat.
Benefits of Liposuction
Liposuction offers the following benefits for men and women:
- Relatively little downtime
- Minimal scars that are difficult to see
- Immediate improvement in natural contours
- Eliminates stubborn fat that cannot be reduced with diet and exercise
Who is the Ideal Candidate for Liposuction?
There are many different reasons people choose to get liposuction, and many patients can greatly benefit from the procedure. It’s important to speak with Dr. Brothers about your concerns, but here are a few things to ask yourself:
- Do I have pockets of stubborn fat that are resistant to diet and exercise?
- Would I like to permanently improve the contours of my body?
- Am I concerned with fat on the face and neck, around the body, or on my legs?
- Am I at a healthy weight and in general good health?
If you answered yes to these questions, you are likely a good candidate for liposuction.
What Do I Need to Do Before Having Liposuction?
If you are considering lipo, we recommend that you meet with Dr. Brothers for a consultation. Some clinicians who perform liposuction still use traditional techniques that can result in excessive tissue trauma and inconsistent results. By having your lipo performed by Dr. Brothers, you can feel confident that the results will be amazing and natural.
What Should I Expect on the Day of My Liposuction?
Liposuction is typically performed under general anesthesia, but IV sedation and local anesthesia may be used in some cases. Your surgeon will begin by making small, inconspicuous incisions in the area to be treated, usually placed in a way that is easily hidden by clothing or natural skin folds. Through these incisions, small specialized tubes called cannulas are used to precisely and carefully remove unwanted fat.
Once Dr. Brothers has re-sculpted the area and achieved the desired contour, the incisions will be sutured and dressed. You will be able to return home the same day, though you will be required to wear a compression garment to help encourage healing and to protect your results. Frequent compression is recommended for about a month to help reduce swelling.
How Long Does It Take to Perform Liposuction?
Liposuction on one area can take one to two hours. Your total surgery time may be longer if you are having multiple areas treated with lipo, or if you are combining lipo with other body contouring procedures.
What to Expect After Liposuction
After your procedure, you will experience some soreness, bruising, and swelling in the treatment area. Initial discomfort can be managed with prescription pain medication, though many patients feel they can switch to an over-the-counter option within just a few days. Residual swelling and bruising should resolve within seven to 10 days, and you can help the process by carefully applying ice to the area.
Depending on the nature of your job, you will likely be able to return to work within a week, though you should take care not to strain your incision sites. Normal activity can be resumed at this time, but you should use caution when exercising or doing anything strenuous for several weeks.
Will I Have Scars After Getting Liposuction?
If you are having lipo as a standalone procedure, the incisions are very small, so the resulting scars are almost undetectable once fully healed.
When Will I See Results?
Right after your liposuction procedure, you will see a noticeable improvement in the treatment area. You will have some swelling, so you will see full results after two to three weeks.
How Long Will the Results of Liposuction Last?
The fat is permanently removed with lipo, but you can develop new fat in the treatment area. Continuing to follow a healthy lifestyle that includes diet and exercise will prolong the results. Aging also causes fat to develop on your body, and you cannot stop these effects, so you may need follow-up fat removal procedures.
Additional Procedures to Enhance Your Liposuction Results
Some patients benefit from combining procedures with liposuction. If you have areas of loose skin on your abdomen (which may or may not worsen after more fat is removed), you may consider tummy tuck surgery (abdominoplasty). New mothers often benefit from a set of mommy makeover procedures, which often include a customized combination of breast lift surgery, breast augmentation, and body contouring.
- You may be a candidate for liposuction of the neck if you have localized deposits of fat in the anterior part of the neck under the chin.
- Liposuction of the neck is intended to give the patient a more youthful neck with a better contour.
- The procedure is done on an outpatient basis under sedation and local or general anesthesia. The procedure requires an incision under the chin. Fat is suctioned or directly excised depending on individual findings. The patient goes home with chin and neck in an elastic neck sling. Initial discomfort is easily controlled with oral medication. Swelling and bruising disappear over approximately two weeks. The final result is evident in one to three months.
- This procedure is considered cosmetic and therefore is not covered by insurance. The patient is responsible for payment. The specific risks and the suitability of this procedure for a given individual can be determined only at the time of consultation. All surgical procedures have some degree of risk. Minor complications that do not affect the outcome occur occasionally. Major complications are rare.
How Much Does Liposuction Cost in Atlanta?
The cost of liposuction varies by patient. The cost is also influenced by any procedures that you have in conjunction with your lipo. After your consultation, we will provide a detailed cost that includes the applicable fees for Dr. Brothers and his surgical staff as well as any necessary medical supplies and your follow-up care. Financing is available through CareCredit® and Alphaeon™ Credit, and we also accept cash, checks, and most major credit cards.
Are you ready for your perfect body that is free of those stubborn bulges of fat? At Plastic Surgery Centre of Atlanta, we use the most advanced techniques for cosmetic and reconstructive surgery. Board-certified plastic surgeon, Dr. David B. Brothers, and his team offer liposuction, emphasizing improved self-image and confidence of men and women in Atlanta, Sandy Springs, and surrounding communities in Georgia. Contact us today to schedule your personal consultation!