A common misconception about liposuction is that the procedure ends when you leave the doctor’s office. Unfortunately, is not true. It’s best to fully understand any procedure you’re considering receiving so here is a simple list of “do’s” and “don’ts” regarding liposuction.
Do These Things to Stay Healthy After Liposuction
- Do your research: There is a lot to consider when undergoing liposuction. Choosing a reputable plastic surgeon is very important and could help to decrease complications.
- Do maintain a healthy weight before surgery: Liposuction is a procedure for shaping the body by removing localized fat in areas such as the abdomen, thighs, arms or neck. For best results, candidates should be close to normal-weight with firm, elastic skin. Liposuction is not a weight loss procedure.
- Do understand your options: There are several options to liposuction surgery. Tumescent liposuction, the safest procedure, uses local anesthesia, injecting the fat with a large amount of anesthetic liquid causing it to become firm, making the removal of fat easy and painless while leaving patients less bruised. Ultrasonic and laser-assisted liposuction technique liquefies fat upon removal, decreasing recovery time. It’s important that you speak with your doctor to choose the right procedure for you. Contact David B. Brothers for a professional consultation.
Don’t Do These Things After Liposuction
- Don’t expect to look “skinny” the day after surgery: You will always look better immediately after a procedure but will not realize the final result for several months.
- Don’t continue over-the-counter supplements: Products such as aspirin, vitamin E and some herbal products slow blood clotting. Additionally, some anti-inflammatory medications can increase the chances of bleeding during surgery. Before surgery, the doctor will discuss any medications and supplements you are taking and which ones should be discontinued.
- Don’t assume all areas are treatable: Most, but not all, body parts are amenable to treatment. The most popular areas include the neck, chest, arms, waist, hips, abdomen, buttocks, thighs, knees and ankles. Your plastic surgeon will tell you if you are a good candidate for the surgery.
For More Information
For more information on do’s and don’ts after liposuction or to book a consultation, please contact our office today. Plastic Surgery Centre of Atlanta is conveniently located in Atlanta near the communities of Gainesville, Smyrna, Snellville, and Suwanee.