Posted July 29, 2013 in Blog
Summer in the Deep South can be very tough on your skin because of our double whammy—hot, humid air outside and cold, dry air inside. Heat and humidity create more moisture on the skin, because perspiration can’t evaporate; then it mixes with the body’s natural oils and bacteria. The opposite conditions occur inside, because air conditioning dries the air as it cools, depleting your skin of much needed moisture.
Having healthy skin in the summer is no secret, but it does take a little effort, especially if you’ve got sensitive skin or are susceptible to breakouts. Try a few simple techniques to keep your skin glowing and blemish-free all summer long:
- Switch to a clarifying cleanser. It will clear out clogged pores that can exacerbate humidity-related skin problems.
- Exfoliate at least once a week to remove the dead, dull skin cells that block pores and leave your skin lifeless. Stay hydrated. Your body will tell you that you need more liquids, so listen and drink plenty of water to keep your skin supple as it perspires outdoors and then dries out indoors.
- Apply a light moisturizer sparingly each day. Choose one with SPF protection built in so you won’t need another product.
- Wash your skin with warm water after you’ve been sweating. Lukewarm water opens up your pores and won’t remove all your moisturizer.
- Keep your hands off your face if you’re perspiring. Not only will you transfer germs from your fingers, you’ll spread the bacteria built up in your sweat and create even more blemishes.
We can also help you with treatments and products designed to keep your skin healthy during these trying summer months. The highly trained medical aestheticians in our Chrysalis spa have a great deal of experience dealing with skin problems. Here are just a couple of suggestions from our spa:
- Visit us for a customized European facial. These treatments are designed to revive and refresh your skin, leaving you with a glowing complexion. We design each treatment to address your skin’s unique needs.
- Request a complete skin analysis. Our aestheticians can create a skin care regimen for you to insure your skin’s optimal health no matter the season. We feature several lines of medical-grade skin care products to keep you looking youthful and refreshed all year long.
Be kind to your skin this summer by following a few of these tips. Remember that our aestheticians are available to help you with all your skin-related concerns, so please schedule a free consultation to have them evaluate your needs.